Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Right Tools for the Job

It has taken me almost an entire week, but I've checked off all of my non-project items from the 'To Do' list. It should have happened last night, but shopping got in the way. I hate shopping for clothes, but somehow, I LOVE shopping for tools. I want to buy ALL of them. Having a workshop full of every tool imaginable sounds like a FANTASTIC idea to me. Seriously. I picture myself doing all kinds of things with these imaginary tools, and ending up with the coolest house ever! Have I mentioned I'm terrified of my circular saw? Yeah. I keep it in the house for the men folk to use. I'd like to keep all my limbs.


I didn't see the point in paying full price for the tools I needed, so I went to the pawn shop and bought a miter saw. I've been talking myself out of it for a few months now. I need it for a picture frame project I have dancing around in my mind. I also wanted to purchase a palm sander while I was there for the spice rack project I have planned, but the guy didn't want to work with me on the price even after I showed him his sticker price was only $3 less than Lowes. He came down some, but we were still too far apart.


The pawn shop was nice enough to let me know they had used the saw just yesterday and it needed a blade, so I actually ended up going to Lowes to purchase one, but OMFG $60 for a 12" blade?!?!?!? I don't think so! The nice lady at Lowes told me Harbor Freight was just a block down the street and they should have something cheaper...and they did. I picked up a new blade for about $30. I'll have to figure out how to install it tomorrow.


Back to the To Do list. I downloaded an app to my phone earlier in the week, typed in my list (I previously kept it in a Word doc), and have been steadily checking things off ever since. It's called "Pro Do" by Othelle Soft. I really like it because you can do subtasks. On my paper To Do list, I had everything arranged by room, and the tasks I needed to complete in that room, so this app is working out pretty well for me. The other thing I really like is, it records the day and time you entered the item on the list, so when you click the check-box the length of time the item on your list is displayed below it.


I think my goal for tomorrow is to refinish what will become my spice rack. That's where the sander comes into play. I purchased a brand new one at Lowes, for less than the cost of the one at the Pawn Shop. I don't think I have the energy to try and figure out how to replace the saw blade just yet.


Next weekends project will be adding some shelving to one wall of my closet, and painting the inside of the closet to match my bedroom, and the shelves white. I totally lucked out and was able to take some wood home from work on Friday. I'm very thankful for that, because I don't have to purchase it now (was actually on my To Do list). 


The week without TV has been surprisingly nice, and I haven't missed it nearly as much as I thought I was going to. I bought a Roku box a few months ago, in anticipation of cutting the cord from cable (my cable bill is currently more than my gas and electric bill!). This coming week's challenge is to see if I can survive on just what's on the Roku/Netflix and seeing how many of my shows can be found on the internet. 


I would consider trying to go another week without TV at all, but I have some organization type projects that are going to take a LONG time (Scanning the remainder of my old photographs) and digitizing all my old cassette tapes (I bought the converter on eBay late last year). Thankfully all of my CDs are already ripped to MP3. I will be catching up on my shows while I do this mindless scanning after work, probably every day this week.

1 comment:

  1. Update: I got cornered by my neighbor and her husband, as I was removing something from my trunk. They saw the saw (hehe) and decided to have a conversation with me (it's not that I mind conversation, it's the fact that they go on, and on, and on, and tend to be close talkers. I can't stand people invading my personal space).

    During the convo, Hubs offers to carry the saw into the house for me. Yay. I say, you're welcome to use it if you change the blade. He says that's fine, and then looks at it. Yeah. The BRILLIANT people at the pawn shop...put the blade on backwards...no wonder it wouldn't cut for them. Anywho, the backwards blade is a 20 something teeth, so it will be for my rough cuts, whereas the new blade I bought is 90 some teeth, so it will be for my finer detailed projects.

    ReplyDelete