Wednesday, August 14, 2013

STAYcation Update #1

OMG...my feet HURT. I've been on them pretty much ALL day. Ok. That's out of the way. Let me back up a bit. My staycation started on Friday August 9th. My BFF took me out for my (early) birthday. After work we had dinner and drinks in the big city. I was in such a funk earlier in the day, and she and her BF really cheered me up. So yeah, nothing on the to-do list got done, but really, I wouldn't have done anything if I had stayed home, so yay for having some fun.

August 10
I was up early. I threw a load of laundry in, had breakfast, and started my day. I had been looking online for a zebra print stencil, and JoAnn's only had them online. I really didn't want to wait for it, since, I had purchased some small things I wanted to stencil, and list on eBay or Etsy, so I kept looking. I hear everyone all over the interwebz getting great things at Hobby Lobby, so I checked there for my stencil. BINGO! They also had them, and they sold them in their stores, so I wouldn't have to order it. Woot Woot!

Thankfully there's a Hobby Lobby about 15 minutes from me, and somehow I have never been to it. What? NEVER! Blasphemy, right? I'm such a JoAnn's girl it's gross. Somehow I managed to get out of the store with spending just under $30. Pretty good for me and a craft store. BFF called while I was in the store and I told her "I have to keep telling myself, 'Just because it's on sale doesn't mean I have to buy it'." She isn't a crafter, but thought this was funny anyway.

As I was on the phone with her, another friend called to firm up plans for our annual birthday dinner and a movie. We decided to see "We're the Miller's", later in the day. I left the store before I could purchase anything else, and treated myself to Boston Market for lunch. I don't like eating at restaurants by myself, so I took lunch home, and ate it there. I relaxed for a bit, then hopped in the shower to get ready for the evening. My friend was running late with their errands, and I wasn't quite sure what time we were actually going to me, so I headed out and went to the JoAnn's close to their house, to make good use of my time, and expiring coupons ;).

Can I tell you a secret? I got three pieces of fabric. They only put two on the ticket, and the cashier just stuck the pile of fabric in the bag without seeing how many pieces. Whoopsie. Thanks for the birthday present JoAnn!

Dinner was nice, and the movie. OMFG, it was so funny my cheeks hurt.

August 11
Birthday. Felt like being lazy. Had breakfast, finally made an Etsy account, and then watched TV until about 5. Then I got a burst of energy and started sewing! Yay! Remember that "use up fleece" on my to-do list? I made a bunch of baby blankets. What do you think?

These first two were already done and delivered. They are both for cousin's kids. Two cousins actually. I love these princess frogs :)

   

Did you know I have a famous cousin? We'll not quite. One of my cousins is a professional driver, for a long running car show. It took me forever to find the right fabric to make his son's blanket. I thought this was great. I was tempted to buy some race car fleece I found at JoAnn's, but held really lucked out when I found this racing flag flannel.

 

This next one is vintage fabric. How old does something have to be before it can be called vintage? This is flannel with a pattern of safety pins and baby foot prints. My friends's Mom passed away. They lived down the street from me, and right next to each other. Her Mom had a basement FULL of craft stuff. The step father didn't want the stuff taking up room, and the friend knew I was crafty, so I got to take ALL of it. She asked me to make something for her and her two girls with something I found in the bins. No joke, probably 15 Rubbermaid bins FULL of craft supplies. LOTS of fabric and yarn. I took probably 8 bins of yarn to the local nursing home. There was no way I'd be able to use all of it in my lifetime. I love to crochet, and have a habit of doing it for hours on end, and OMG, my hand hurts just thinking about it. So anyway, this fabric was in one of the bins.

 

This next one is a combination of a thrift store find and an "OMG that's so cute, I have to buy it" fabric. The pink field with white hearts, as you can see, the price was $2.45.


In it's former life, it was a full size sheet. This is actually the second time I've used it in a baby blanket. I'm on a mission to use up the vast majority of my fabric stash, remember? I thought it worked really well with the heart & cross bones (what would you call this?)
 
 

I actually had enough of this fabric to make two blankets. I only took a picture of one of them though. The second one is just paired with a pink flannel. Fairy Princesses. So cute!


This purple stars fabric is pieced together to make it work with the remaining fairy princess fabric. I have this as my curtain fabric in my second floor bathroom, and window at the top of my stairs. I must have bought a crap load of it, because I remember making curtains for a boyfriends RV.

 

Four baby blankets made on my b-day, and I really felt productive. Woohoo! Finally, right? So, what do you think of the blankets? I'm considering listing them on my newly created Etsy account. Do any of you sell baby blankets? How should I word my disclaimer? Any tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment